Monday 2 June 2014

Big Bear With Big Tummy

Big bear with big tummy
loved berries
as red as cherries.
But berries were
high up on the tree
and couldn’t be had for free.

Bear (with a swagger)
could climb a ladder .
He looked around
but no ladder he found.
Bear thought (rather arrogantly),
“I should give tree a kick,
fallen berries I can then pick.”
But tree was tall and thick,
 it was wise not to kick.
Bear asked (rather rudely)
the monkey,
who was little spunky,
 for berries
as red as cherries.
Monkey seemed not to hear.
“Must be hard in the ear,”
grumbled the bear.
But pat replied the monkey,
 who was a little spunky,
“Sir, I am no flunkey.”
Near the tree
a giraffe was wandering
and red berries
was he munching.
Bear bowed (rather stiffly)
and pointed to berries
as read as cherries.
Giraffe kept munching,
 a bit slowly.
But when he spoke
he spoke very clearly,
“I love the berries
as red as cherries.
When I have my fill
I may eat still.
You may await your turn,
 but I am afraid
it may never come.”
Bear fretted
and requested
(rather crudely)
 the squirrel,
the hornbill,
 the cockatoo and
the crow.
But even one berry
 they didn’t pluck
 and throw.
 Bear was now
a bit teary
and a bit bleary,
for he loved berries
as red as cherries.
The old tortoise
named James Joice
was nearby.
He saw the bear
 in tears
and said,
 “You know you are
a bit arrogant,
 and a bit rude,
and a bit stiff,
 and a bit crude.
You know
you are one
who has friends
 but none.
You know life
would be fun
if you had friends
or at least one.
You know even
 the strongest one
 needs friends,
 if not many
but surely one.”
My friends,
this is how
the story would end
if you are one
without a friend.
© i b arora

2 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet poem and I loved the pictures that you have used. They just add to the charm :)

    munniofalltrades.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanx,the pictures were also attempted by me. nice that you liked them

      Delete